We love cookies! Who doesn’t? In our home chocolate chip cookies are a staple. We made some a few years ago that we LOVED with my sister-in-law Ceska and nephew Jordy (before Bella was born) and they were delicious. Since then we usually make cookies for fun or for special occasions. This time, we decided to throw in another special ingredient, one of Bella’s favorites – M&Ms.
We played around with a few recipes (including our favorite chocolate chip recipe) and experimented until we found one we liked the most. It was a fun afternoon for both Bella and I and she gamely took charge of “baking” these herself!
Ready to go! We separated our ingredients into smaller bowls to make it easier for the little chef.
In a large mixing bowl you start by creaming the butter (softened), sugar, and salt. On low speed until combined.
Then add the eggs and vanilla extract. Mix until the batter looks yellow and fluffy.
Add the flour, baking powder, and baking soda. (Before putting this in – we recommend sifting the dry ingredients so they combine as best as possible).
Mix until ingredients are combined thoroughly – batter should be fluffy. Don’t overbeat.
Mix in the chocolate chips and the M&Ms. You can also use a wooden spoon to ensure they are mixed in well.
Using a small ice cream scooper or a tablespoon, put the dough on a lightly buttered cookie sheet a good distance apart from one another. Add M&Ms on top. Bake for 10-12 minutes or until golden brown.
Let them cool on the sheet for around 10 minutes before transferring them to a cooling rack to completely cool.
- 1 cup butter, softened room temperature
- 1 cup brown sugar, lightly packed
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 (10.8 oz) bag M&M'S mini milk chocolate candies, reserve ¼ cup for topping
- Preheat an oven to 360 degrees F.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream the butter, sugars and salt. Mix on low speed for about a minute to start and build up to medium speed.
- Add the eggs and vanilla extract. Mix on low until the eggs are blended in then back to medium speed until blended. The mixture should be a pale yellow and fluffy.
- Add the sifted flour, baking powder, and baking soda.
- Mix in the M&M'S® mini milk chocolate candies and chocolate chips on low speed, reserving ¼ cup of M&M'S® for the cookie tops
- Scoop out dough and place on lightly buttered/greased baking sheets about 2" a part. Place a few M&M'S mini milk chocolate candies on the tops.
- Bake in a preheated 360 degrees F oven for 10-12 minutes, or until the the cookies are light golden brown.
- Cool on baking sheets for 10 minutes before transferring them to a cooling rack.